I first contacted Theyedoctor.com on September 7th to have some Costa Del Mar Rx sunglasses made for a fishing trip scheduled for October 3rd. I was assured that there would be no problem making that deadline and the original quoted price was 377.80.

After about 15 days with no glasses, I contacted them via email for a status of the order. I was told then that they had trouble finding the correct lenses for those frames but had them in the lab and felt they could still get them to me in time for my trip.

Towards the end of September I was told that the lab had messed up the lenses and they were searching for another set of lenses.

The glasses arrived on October 16th, missing the deadline by about 2 weeks. On arrival on of the lenses wasn't even in the frame, and when I tried them on, it was impossible to see anything with any clarity. They were so bad in fact that looking through them was worse then using no glasses at all.

I again wrote to the Eyedoctor.com's customer service rep and was told that this sometimes happens with prescription wraparound lenses. She suggested I take them to my optometrist to see if they could fix them.

At the OD's office, they took one look at the glasses and began to chuckle at the poor quality workmanship and pointed out everything that was wrong with them. Mismatched lenses. Misaligned within the frames. Don't fit in the frames.2 different coatings and it was questioned whether they were actually Costa lenses to begin with.

It just so happened that a representative for Costa Del Mar was expected in their office the next week and I could leave them for him to look at. He too was shocked at the shoddy workmanship and told me the only components that were actually Costa Del Mar were the frames. Now this is was the consensus of two licensed optometrist, one technician and a company representative who was formerly a licensed optometrist.

I again contacted the company and told them I wished to return the glasses for a refund, as I did not think they could make a satisfactory pair. Upon receipt, they did issue a refund of 369.85.

Throughout this order and the subsequent issues, the Eyedoctor.com rep "Terri" was polite and tried to be helpful, but I got the feeling her hands were tied. I would have been helpful had they said at the onset that it is difficult to make prescription wraparound lenses. They may be able to get you regular sunglasses, but I don't think they or their lab has clue on making prescription lenses.

Totals….

Original bill 377.80

Cost to mail back lenses 3.55

Refund 369.85

Out 11.50

(Not bad considering what others have experienced.)

Had an Experience with Theyedoctor?

Comments